I'm not a reviewer: I read for pleasure, and then usually think upon what I read some, to figure out what I love, what I hate, why I am smitten or disappointed in a novel because as an unpublished writer that's what my brain does. I have no control over my brain. I'm a woman. Worse, I'm blonde. Nuff said?
Hence these are not reviews, merely my opinion in shorthand (take it as you will: with or without salt, water, sugar, milk... or not). If you seek recaps on stories, go elsewhere.

dinsdag 14 september 2010

Philip Palmer: Debatable Space

Multi-POV, used playfully and with intelligence. The story kicks off as a fun adventure of rogue space pirates, like we're all set for Pirates of the Caribbean in space (but moving safely out of PG-13 areas).
Then suddenly Palmer changes the rules and the reader is served the diary of that prissy bitch, Lena. I honestly did not like it at first, even if I had to respect his skill in changing the timbre of voice with the switch. His solid skill kept me reading, and after a while he switches back to the jolly pirate crew. But far too soon he switches back to that c*** of a woman, and I'm even more vexed to have to sit through-- Oh wait, I see what's happening here. I see what Palmer's doing...
This book is riddled with lies; some in the smaller stories between characters, some in the set-up of the pirate's next plan, some in the relationship between character and reader...  Simply wonderful.

Addiction levels, once past the first switch, were high. No skippage and good wordspendage, the makings of great storytelling. Very good wordspendage even, considering how well he did the different voices. This one's a keeper, and probably deserves another read or two somewhen in the future.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten