I'm not a reviewer: I read for pleasure, and then usually think upon what I read some, to figure out what I love, what I hate, why I am smitten or disappointed in a novel because as an unpublished writer that's what my brain does. I have no control over my brain. I'm a woman. Worse, I'm blonde. Nuff said?
Hence these are not reviews, merely my opinion in shorthand (take it as you will: with or without salt, water, sugar, milk... or not). If you seek recaps on stories, go elsewhere.

dinsdag 14 september 2010

Eric Brown: Necropath

Starts off with main character Vaughan being obviously a guy with a dark past and a chip on his shoulder, just the kind you need to get hooked on an SF thriller. The story develops skilfully enough, and there was no skippage and addiction levels were good.

The novel uses multi-POV, mainly switching between Vaughan and Sukura, giving the reader a lead on Vaughan's past catching up with him. Somehow this ended up making the novel fish nor flesh: the mystery to be solved, which is central to thrillers, was often sidelined to further Sukura's story. Then again, maybe the smuggle of Cthulhu-esque aliens, is not the real mystery to be solved; maybe the story's about Vaughan's past: this fits with Sukura's story and her relationship with Osborne, and how they come closer to Vaughan. But then the tension built up there does not deliver either.

So it's not really a crime thriller, and it's not really a psychological thriller. It was an enjoyable read, but only so-so. So low scores on durability: I might read the next one, or I might not.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten