I'm not a reviewer: I read for pleasure, and then usually think upon what I read some, to figure out what I love, what I hate, why I am smitten or disappointed in a novel because as an unpublished writer that's what my brain does. I have no control over my brain. I'm a woman. Worse, I'm blonde. Nuff said?
Hence these are not reviews, merely my opinion in shorthand (take it as you will: with or without salt, water, sugar, milk... or not). If you seek recaps on stories, go elsewhere.

maandag 4 oktober 2010

Mark C. Newton: Nights of Villjamur

Multi-POV that slides with ease from one head to another to keep the story flowing. Every character has its own adventure, but the underlying tension comes from the question if and when and how all those heads meet. Liked the heads, some more than others,
Not always on the same page with The Hype about beautiful descriptions, especially of the city I could have done with more. Sometimes I find Newton's prose a bit ... clunky, if that's the word I'm looking for. Or: he makes director's cuts I'm not always agreeing with as a reader, but then, I am merely the reader. Sad to see the "bad guy" prostitute go in little more than a snap of the fingers, but then, story isn't about her. I like the insinuations that this might be a future Earth without explicitly spelling it out.
Not quite addictive but enjoyable. Towards the end there's promises of imperial war, and clash of civilisations with weird aliens and as all the main foci head out towards the same place I find myself looking forward to see how things play out. Doubt I'll ever take pity on lobster again, though.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten